In order to offer a better Support, a remote connection may be useful helping you to solve your troubles.
In this section we will show two options to allow Datgel’s support to connect to your computer. In both cases, you will never lose the control of the computer. The first solution is provided by Windows, so you have already installed in your computer. The second option is an app for Google Chrome.
Option 1 - Using Windows Remote Assistant
Windows 10, 8 and 7 all come with Windows Remote Assistance built into the OS.
To send an invitation, open the Run box, type msra and click “Enter”.
In the next window click on “Invite someone you trust to help you”.
Then, if you have Outlook installed in your computer, click on the second option “Use email to send an invitation” and a new email with the invitation file attached will be prompted and you will need to send it to Datgel’s Support.
Otherwise, you can choose the first option “Save this invitation as a file” and send the file using your email.
After send the email or save the attached file depending on the option you choose, the Windows Remote Assistance will be opened and this window shows the password. Do not close this window otherwise the session will end. Provide the password to Datgel’s support.
Datgel’s Support will lunch the Windows Remote Assistance using the password you provided and you will need allow us to connect to your computer by clicking on “Yes”.
In addition, you will need to allow us to take the control too.
The Windows Remote Assistance window will allow you to open a chat, pause the sharing and Stop the sharing by clicking on the related buttons.
Once you or Datgel’s Support stops sharing, the session will be ended.
Option 2 - Using Chrome Remote Desktop
To receive a technical support from Datgel by using Chrome Remote Desktop, you will need to have this app installed in your computer: Chrome Remote Desktop. This app can be used using any Windows version (Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 10).
After open the Chrome Remote Desktop you will need to click on “Enable” remote connections.
Once you click on the “Share” button in the Remote Assistance window, you will get an access code. You will need to provide the access code to the Datgel’s Support (by email, phone or chat).
Datgel’s Support will lunch the same app using the password you provided and you will need allow us to connect to your computer by clicking on “Share”.
By closing the app, the Remote Connection will be ended and Datgel’s Support will not see and control the computer anymore.
If gINT crashes, or a pc loses network connection perhaps due to a vpn drop out, then a Datgel network license connection would not be closed. This may result in unavailability of your Datgel licenses.
The manual way to fix this is to login to the license server computer, launch the Uni Key License Server program by double clicking on it from the System Tray. Then click the Kill All button.
Alternatively, if this is a common problem you may like to set up a scheduled task to run each day on the License Server computer. Make a *.bat file with this text:
net stop "NetUniKeyServer"
net start "NetUniKeyServer"
The bat file needs to be run with Admin rights. Use windows scheduler to run it automatically each day.
This blog lists the installation, activation and start up steps to get up and running with gINT and a Datgel gINT Add-In.
- Install and license gINT, see https://www.datgel.com/gint-faq, question: How do I install gINT v10 Connect Edition? Check you have the correct gINT product level (i.e. Logs, Pro, Pro Plus) running by selecting gINT | Help > About. If you have the wrong one running, select help > Launch gINT Logs / Pro / Pro Plus!
- Then download the Datgel product package(s) from https://www.datgel.com/customer/downloadableproducts
- Extract the zip/7z package to a folder. Note the Documentation folder has the license system user guide, product user guide, example reports and the EULA.
- If you have a network license, country seat and international seat license then
- Download Datgel Network Key License Server from https://www.datgel.com/customer/downloadableproducts
- Install Datgel Network Key License Server on a server or PC that will always be turned on, see the license system user guide about the firewall exception
- Install the Datgel product program on the client PC. Run the setup.exe file (not the msi), since this will ensure dependencies are installed.
- Normally we ship hardware keys inactive. You need to update the USB key with the Datgel product license, see the Datgel fulfilment email. That process needs to be done on Win7 (soon this process will work on Win10). If you need to use a different pc for this process then you only need to install the Datgel product, no need for gINT.
- Plug the USB key into the License server PC if you have a network license, or your client pc if you have a single user hardware key license.
- If Datgel created a company specific set of gINT user files incorporating your logo and configuration, then please find this and extract the zip/7z file to a folder.
- On the client PC, start gINT and open the Library “<your company name> #.## lib.glb” and the project “<your company name> #.##.gpj”. Make new projects by cloning the data template “<your company name> #.##.gdt”.
- There may be other files in the product package gINT files folder that you will need to fully utilise the Datgel product, such as correspondence files. You may like to copy this to the same folder as your company specific set of gINT user files.
- Set the System properties up, see the DGD Tool user guide.
- Validate the Datgel product license by selecting Windows Start menu > Datgel License Administrator 2, or gINT INPUT | Add-Ins > Datgel <Product> Tool > Licensing. See the Datgel license system user guide for how to validate a license.
For more information refer to the Datgel user guides here: https://www.datgel.com/documentation
Custom Activation Groups are site activation keys that allow your organization to provide users with valid licensing information without releasing your organization’s primary site activation key. Custom Activation Groups can be created for specific products with specific expiration dates within the product and date constraints of your license pool and SELECT agreement.
Utilizing a Custom Activation Group allows for the sub-division of your site’s license pool for distribution to various designated groups while also allowing for usage tracking. Application usage for Custom Activation Groups is recorded against the main site to which the key is created, and there are multiple reports available in the SELECTserver interface which can be used to view the usage data.
For information about Custom Activation Group please refer to:
Its recommended to restrict the primary group to only allow check ins from IP address of 188.8.131.52, which would mean that no one else would be able to check in data. An alternative would be to generate a new key.
Set up a custom activation group for only gINT Logs, or only gINT Pro, or gINT Pro Plus, and distribute that new site activation key to the appropriate users of each product.
How do I automate the delivery of gINT licenses onto desktops?
- Logon Script - Must be using gINT version 8.2.904 or later:
- Adding registry file (*.reg)
- Using the command line interface to LicenseToolCmd.exe in a batch/shortcut
- Example start-up batch job:
"%ProgramFiles%\Bentley\gINT\bin\LicenseToolCmd.exe" /nowin configure -setting:SelectServer -value:selectserver.bentley.com
"%ProgramFiles%\Bentley\gINT\bin\LicenseToolCmd.exe" /nowin configure -setting:ActivationKey -value:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
"%ProgramFiles%\Bentley\gINT\bin\LicenseToolCmd.exe" /nowin configure -setting:Country -value:AU
Step By Step Guide to creating a Custom Activation Group
Part 1 - Custom Activation Group
1. Select Site Configuration > Custom Activation Groups
2. Click on 'Add New Group'
3. Modify Custom Activation Group (A new activation key will be creating for gINT Usage)
a) Fill in 'Group Name'.
b) Tick 'Restrict the applications available to this group. If no restrictions are configured, then all of the site's applications will be available for use.'
c) Select products which you would like to restrict usage too. For example, if the user has:
i) gINT Logs select:
- Bentley View
- gINT AGS Toolkit
- gINT Logs
ii) gINT Professional select:
- Bentley View
- gINT AGS Toolkit
- gINT Civil Tools Professional
- gINT Professional
iii) gINT Professional Plus select:
- Bentley View
- gINT AGS Toolkit
- gINT Civil Tools Professional Plus
- gINT Professional Plus
d) Save Changes.
Part 2 - Client Access Restrictions
In this section we will disable the primary site activation key
1. Select Site Configuration > Client Access Restrictions
2. Select 'Access Restrictions Enabled: Only computers that are selected in the access list will be granted access. Note: you must define and enable at least one access restriction rule or access will be granted to all machines.'
3. Create Client Access Restriction
a) Select Add a New Restriction
b) Fill in 'Stop All' into 'Display Name'
c) Select 'Single Computer - By IP Address', fill in 'IP Address" with '184.108.40.206'
d) Click OK
2. Enable Restriction, change 'Disabled' (red cross) to 'Enable' (green tick)
Part 3 - Distribute new site activation key
Return to the SSA Home page, and note the new site activation key for gINT Pro, and distribute this to your users. Users will need to select Help > Activation Wizard in gINT, and replace the key. The old primary site activation key will no longer work. A similar CAG can be made for gINT Logs and gINT Pro Plus, or multiple products in one CAG if that suite your company license configuration.
Part 4 - Set each PC to immediately expire disconnected and trial licenses
Even with the CAG set, a product can be run in trial or disconnected mode, and the use is logged and billed as a QTL. To avoid this each PC must be configured to make products that you do not wish to use expire immediately when in disconnected and trial license mode. Without this a user could use the unlicensed product for 7 days with gINT 10 or 30 days gINT 8.
- Download this ExpireLicensegINTLicense.zip
- Extract it
- Run the bat file for the product(s) you do not wish to use. Do this on all PCs running gINT. For example, if you have gINT Logs, run the file ExpireLicense-gINTPro-gINTProPlus.bat.
This blog describes how to have a live data connection from a gINT database into Excel. A similar process can be used to connect to an SQL-based gINT database.
The main benefit of this is being able to work in Excel with the latest data from your gINT database as the single source of truth for a project.
- Open Excel
- Go to Data tab > From Other Sources > From Microsoft Query
- Select MS Access Database*, and OK
- Set List Files of Type to All Files (*.*), and browse to "ags 3_1 rta 1_1 06.gpj"
- Under ISPT, select PointID, Depth and ISPT_NVAL
- Click Next
- Set order by PointID and Depth, select Next
- Select Finish
- Place it in the sheet where desired
The desktop shortcut can be configured to define which gINT product level is launched. You could make 3 desktop shortcuts, one for each gINT product. This can help users to be sure they are running a specific gINT product (e.g. gINT Logs) by default.
Right click on the gINT desktop shortcut, and select Properties. Then on the Shortcut tab, put a space at the end of the Target text box after ", and enter one of the following
Launch the Select Server Admin Site: http://selectserver.bentley.com/bss/admin/default.aspx. Site Administrators may login and run reports.
SELECT Open Access Portal
Useful information can also be found on Reports > SELECT Open Access Portal (https://select.bentley.com/selectopenaccessportal/Home/Index), such as 10 min based usage data and QTL invoices.
Select Site Configuration > Site Settings
Unless you are on offshore geotechnical site investigation company, we recommend you uncheck Enable clients to checkout licenses.
Initially we recommend you uncheck Enable Notifications. If you check Enable Notifications, and define email addresses, then a warning email will be sent each time excess use data is checked in. This is best applied after other less intrusive measured are tried.
The most useful two reports are: Reports > Peak Usage Reports > Daily Peak Application Usage and Reports > Machine Based Reports > Application Usage By Hour. Durations of Quarter to Date, Last 3 Months and Last 6 Months are most applicable.
- Go to Reports, select a Peak Usage Reports > Daily Peak Application Usage, and save report parameters for "Last 3 months", "Quarter to Date" and "Last 6 months"
- Set up scheduled reports types “Daily Peak Application Usage” and “Application Usage By Hour”, to be sent to the user's email and UsageData@datgel.com. Add parameters “Last 3 Months” and "Last 6 months" to run on the 8th day after the end of a quarter. Add parameters "Quarter to Date" and set to Weekly on Mondays. Name reports with syntax" <Company Name> <Bentley SAP ID><Report Type > <Period>, e.g. "Datgel 1234567890 Application Usage By Hour Quarter to Date".
Go to Reports > Schedule Reports, Click on Schedule a report button
<Company Name> <Bentley SAP ID> Application Usage by Hour Quarter to Date
<Company Name> <Bentley SAP ID> Daily Peak Application Usage Quarter To Date
<Company Name> <Bentley SAP ID> Daily Peak Application Usage Last 3 Months
<Company Name> <Bentley SAP ID> Application Usage By Hour Last 3 Months
<Company Name> <Bentley SAP ID> Daily Peak Application Usage Last 6 Months
When you installed gINT, you had the option to install a range of gINT Standard User Files. If you forgot to select the one(s) you require, then:
- Run the same gINT installer file again.
- Select Change
- Right click on the desired item and select "Entire Feature will be installed on local hard drive"
- Finish the installation process
- Open gINT, and use File > Change Library to select the new library which will be here:
Over the years Datgel’s development team has compiled an arsenal of third party software applications to help us efficiently develop and administer gINT based systems.
- 3CX – Professional grade Voip system software
- Alcohol 52% - Reads ISO CD files
- Azure – Microsoft’s cloud solution
- Camtasia – Screen recording and editing
- Datgel Administrator Tools – we created a set of tools closely integrated into to gINT, which otherwise are not available
- ExamDiff – we use the commercial professional version
- FileZilla – FTP Client
- GoToMeeting and GoToWebinar
- Notepad++ - Freeware text editor, with multiple tabs
- Notepad2 - Freeware text editor, single file
- Paint.NET – free and simple to use image editing software
- Qlockwork – record the applications one has open to an Outlook calendar, to assist with accurate timesheet
- Snagit – screen capture and annotation
- Visual Source Safe – old, but good enough for a small team
- Visual Studio 2008, 2010, 2012
- VLC Media Player
- WinRAR – file compression
In gINT, open Symbol Design, then click the Bitmap Symbols tab.
Then look through the yellow drop-down box for a page either named ‘Logo’ or your company’s name.
Call the command File > Page > Properties… (or press shortcut key F8) and click on the … next to Load Raster File. Then you just have to navigate to the image, select it then press Ok.
You should then get a prompt asking whether you’d like to overwrite the existing image, press Ok, Then click save to save your changes.
If you couldn’t find the page, that’s fine too. Instead, call the command File > New… then enter a name for your logo in the window. Click on the … next to Load Raster File, and select the logo image you wish to use.
Note, gINT only accepts raster files for images. ( .jpeg, .exif, .tiff, .raw, .png, .bmp)
Also note, if you create a new logo page you’ll need to change the reference in your report block to use the new logo.